As a Magento site owner, you will frequently encounter common issues, but luckily, the solutions are very straightforward, so remain calm. We will explore the main issues that you might face. If you quickly address and tackle the puzzle, you will be able to advance rapidly with little stress.
Learn about the most common website challenges faced by Magento site owners in 2020 and how to overcome them.
Issue 1: Data Security & Website Speed
Suppose you are seeking data security and site speed for your Magento store. In that case, you need to enable the Magento compilation function to increase your page load performance by 25 to 50%.
Go to Magento admin > System > Tools > Compilation. Click on Run Compilation to activate.
Why Do You Need Data Protection?
Security matters and the Magento Commerce Cloud has been optimized to offer a secure environment to ensure data protection. Every customer is safe. You expect Magento to protect, and it does not fail.
Magento security stands out from the pack with a few of the security perks:
- Consumer’s Browser: Traffic flows from in and out with consumer traffic being secured via HTTPS for all the site’s pages by using shared SSL certification. In some cases, the customers own SSL, which does cost additional. The account and checkout pages have security with HTTPS.
- Fast CDN with DDoS Protection: With the fast CDN isolating the access to the origin server, the public DNS points onward to the Fastly network. With the Fastly DDOS, there are multiple layers of protection that go hand in hand. The Layer & is based on the HTTP/HTTPS request for cookies, client IP, geolocation, headers, and request path for integration.
- WAF: With the Fastly Web Application Firewall (WAF), you benefit from even more protection. The cloud-based WAF relies on third party rules gained from open source sources such as OWASP COR Rule Set. Magento security site-specific solution. With the WAF rules, new vulnerabilities and issues are detected so that Magento can virtually patch the security issues.
- Virtual Cloud: The Magento Commerce Cloud has been specially configured as a virtual private cloud (VPC). All of the production servers have limited ability to connect in and out of the cloud environment and remain isolated. The connections to cloud servers must be secure. Secure protocols such as SFTP and Rsync are used for file transfers. Furthermore, customers use SSH tunnels to secure communications successfully. The connections to the servers are further controlled using AWS Security Groups, which is a virtual firewall that limits and overseas connections.
Benefits from Fast Website
Magento solutions are usually very straightforward, which is one of the biggest perks. The benefits of having a fast and secure website such as what Magento offers includes:
- Mobile-friendly configuration
- Easy third-party integrations
- Content management that leads in versatility
- Built-in Cross-sells with Upsells
- Advanced SEO
- Fully customizable security permissions
- Filtered intelligent search
- Lower bounce rate
- Better user experience
How to Speed Up and Secure Your Site?
You can switch to the latest Magento version. Remember, each time they release new versions; there are usually performance improvements along with patches that will have a bearing on the site speed.
Content Distribution Network for Magento
The CDN speeds up content delivery from high traffic websites around the globe. Also, CDN servers provide protection when massive surges occur. The CDN helps a Magento website cope with visitors’ demands while delivering data at impressively fast speeds. Nowadays, any successful eСommerce site should provide HD videos, large downloads, and digital giveaway.
It is considered one of the best CDN for Magento 2 and also dedicated to speed and security. When integrating Cloudflare with Magento, you will need to:
- Create your Cloudflare account.
- Use cPanel to create a subdomain for the CDN content and lead it to your Magento installation directory.
- Create a CNAME record addition on your Cloudflare dashboard.
- Inspect Cloudflare’s DNS settings.
- Sign in to Magento admin and go to navigate Stores > Configuration.
- Click on the web link located below the general tab located in the left-hand menu.
- Edit the base URL to Static View File and the base URL to for User Media Files.
- Clear your cache.
To NGINX Direct Delivery
Move from Static Catch to NGINX Direct Delivery. You can remove the static content from the server memory to the faster NGINX and skip the communication with the Apache webserver.
Benefits of moving to NGINX Direct Delivery include:
- The better browser and CDN caching with standard headers.
- More efficient.
- User-friendly memory.
Optimize Your Server Space
By optimizing your server space, you can enhance performance, so your eCommerce store functions at peak efficiency. Tips to optimize your server space include:
- Choose the Correct Magento Hosting. Use shared or managed hosting for your store.
- Update your Magento store to the latest version. Or if you have Magento 1 upgrade to Magento 2 and get enhanced performance.
- Use the Full Page Cache (FPC) extensions. This can also help the store gain a better position in Google’s SERP.
- Skip Built-in Cache. You can skip the built-in cache by using Magento 2’s Varnish solution.
- Use Memcached or Redis to speed up Magento 2. They help to speed up Magento 2 by reducing the load of database requests experienced by servers while delivering cached data.
- Continue Updated Indexers. Work with bulk data to reduce load time. With Magento 1, use the admin panel to update the indexers, and with Magento 2, execute the process using the CLI command located in the root directory using the SSH terminal.
- Audit Third Party Extensions. Turn off each module, clear the caches, and see if this improves speeds.
- Enable Flat Catalogs. When data is stored in the Excel-like Magento database, the store slows down. You can reduce the impact of the overspill of data by enabling the Magento Flat Catalog and the Flat Catalog to improve the store’s performance.
- Implement ElasticSearch. You can use ElasticSearch to maintain the Magento store’s search and increase its speed.
- Configure CDN. You need to configure CND in your Magento store to enhance your audiences’ shopping experience and improve the page load time.
- Use Production Mode. Run Magento 2 in production mode for optimized performance.
Issue 2: Pages With 404 Error Request
Pages with a 404-error request code often happen when it has been moved or deleted, and the URL wasn’t modified correctly. Below you will find a list of solutions that might help:
- Use a command line to flush and clear Magento Cache or remove the folders manually.
- Manually delete the cache and then generate a folder from within the var folder in the cPanel.
- Enable rewrite mode.
- Upload the default .htaccess file located in the root of the Magento installation.
- Check the admin URL using the env.php file.
Check Redirects on Your Website
Creating a 301 redirect helps guarantee that when a page is permanently moved, the visitor and search engines will be sent to the new page, so they don’t receive a 404 Error Request. With Magento, you can manipulate the .htaccess file and create your 301 redirects.
To manually create redirects, go to:
- Catalog > URL Rewrite Management
- Click on the “Add URL Rewrite”
- Choose “Create URL Rewrite,” from “Custom”
- Edit the URL. Remember, the ID Path and Request Path are old URLs (including the .html). The new URL is the Target Path Choose Permanent (301) in the “redirect” field.
Check Redirects from HTTP to HTTPS
Frequently check redirects from HTTP to HTTPS by activating the Fastly’s Force TLS in the Magento Admin so that all pages are redirected to the Magento store and won’t result in a 404-error request.
Check Redirects With WWW
You can set up Magento to check redirects with WWW so that they permanently redirect any time a URL of a product changes or the category alters. You will go into the SEO section and check the box below the URL key to redirect permanently.
Issue 3: Unoptimized Images
Content online is made up of images and videos on eCommerce sites to see the products from various angles before making a purchasing decision. Images can increase page weight, which slows down the site’s speed, but their importance cannot be overlooked. Optimize your images in Magento, so they load faster and create an ideal user experience.
Lazy Load Images
Images load slowly when they are large, so they need resizing. You can purchase extensions that help with lazy load images. They optimize speed and reduce load time significantly.
Use Recommended Images Formats
When uploading images on Magento, use PNG or JPG (JPEG) formats. The maximum size should not exceed 5MB. You will get the sharpest screenshots and transparent layers with the PNG format.
Issue 4: User-Unfriendly URLs
SEO-friendly URLs are particularly important with any Magento site. Google might proclaim it as a small ranking factor, but URLs have some bearing on SEO and should never be overlooked. Also, your website needs useful URLs to act as the foundation structure. With a custom SEO URL, you can gain a better search result page and help push certain areas to convert your sales. Web hosting lets Internet users quickly find the URL and visit your eCommerce site.
Hide Parameters Like &, ?, Index.Php
When working with content and photos, you want to make them user-friendly and protect against an attack such as from a DDoS.With a CDN system, you can cache any downloaded objects in a safe area that improves web page load times, lessens the webserver loads, reduces bandwidth costs, and helps mitigate DDoS attacks. You have control over traffic and can block as needed for protection. You can even re-index, or Php remains an option.
As a Magento site owner, you need to stay above challenges with your eCommerce site. You want to ensure that everything runs smoothly for your customers and that your website is being promoted on Google, which has impressive ongoing traffic. Luckily, most problems that occur are relatively easy to fix. We hope that our practical tips will help you to overcome common tech problems with your Magento store.